Hate waiting in long lines? Global Entry is the best way to insure you can efficiently get through customs and airport security quickly.
Instead of standing in the long customs lines with global entry you can scan your passport, it verifies that its you by taking your picture, and you can proceed within minutes.
We decided to get Global Entry before we went to Europe for the first time. We applied in February even though our trip was not until July because we heard that it could take a long time to get an interview and be approved.
We got an email just a couple weeks later that we are through the first round of approval and we need to set up an interview at the MSP airport.
The day we went in for the interview we had to bring our passport, drivers license (or a document showing that you are a resident), and a Conditional Approval Notification that we got from the Global Entry team.
We parked in the ramp at MSP, walked to the offices (which is next to baggage claim), and we were one of the first interviews in the morning so that we could go to work afterwards.
The officer asked us a couple questions, heard Damion used to be in the Marines, and approved us quickly. It took about 10 minutes. Even though it is quick we had to pay for parking so be prepared for that.
Within a couple weeks we had our known Traveller cards. As soon as we got them we plugged in the known traveller number to our upcoming flights and we have had TSA Pre check ever since.
What is so great about Global Entry?
- Global Entry qualifies you for TSA precheck.
- Expedites entry into other countries including arriving back in to the United States
- No processing lines, paperwork, and reduced lines
- Speeds up your entry in to qualified countries
Before you Apply for Global Entry ask yourself these Questions
- Are you planning to travel outside of the United States multiple times within 5 years?
- Do you hate waiting in lines to get through customs?
- Do you want TSA Precheck?
- Do you have a clean record for a background check?
- Do you have an extra 100 dollars?
How to Apply
This process can take up to 4 months to get conditionally approved for an interview. Then you have a full year to schedule an interview. Make sure you give yourself enough time before your travels.
Each person in your family including your children need their own Trusted Traveler number. Make sure everyone has global entry that you travel with if you want to stay together.
- Apply at: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry You will create a Trusted Traveler Program account (TTP), and pay a non-refundable 100 dollars.
- After your application is conditionally approved, you can schedule your interview at your closest enrollment center. Most of the time its at the closest International Airport.
- Day of the interview you will need your passport, any other forms of ID, and a document proving you are a resident of the US. They will ask you a few questions and take your finger prints.
How to get Global Entry For Free
Credit cards can have great benefits, but we do not condone getting a credit card if you can not pay the entire balance each month. Right now here are the credit cards that are offering a 100 dollar credit towards Global Entry. Many of these cards have high enrollment fees. Look at all the rewards and make sure the entire fee is covered by the benefits/rewards before you sign up.
- Capital One Venture Card
- United Explorer Card
- Chase Sapphire Reserve
- The Platinum Card from American Express
- Bank of America Premium Rewards
Apply for an American Express Card with this link. We can both get rewarded if you’re approved!